Friday, September 24, 2010

"Every time a characters in your novel speak, they should be: (1) telling us something about themselves; (2) conveying information that may well advance the story line and/or plot; (3) adding to the music or the mood of the scene, story, or novel; (4) giving us a scene from a different POV; and/or (5) giving the novel a pedestrian feel."
Walter Mosley, This Year You Write Your Novel

Derek cut Miller off, “Remember when I found you in that village in Rwanda, sleeping in a hammock with a tiny orphan child nestled on your chest?”
Miller looked shocked, “We have never talked about that day.”
“We would have to acknowledge some divine force, and it is hard to speak of beauty and God in the middle of a civil war. This seems like a safe place to reflect on such a moment.”
“How did you find me? Were you even looking for me? Did you even know I was in Rwanda?”
“Which question do you want the answer to, Miller? I cannot tell you how I found you and I don’t think I was looking for you. I think is crossed my mind that you may be in the country at that time. The moment I saw your figure gently swaying in the womb-like hammock, I thought I was hallucinating. Then as I got closer, I was overcome with tears; had to stop and compose myself before I approached you. Then you opened your eyes as I touched your arm and looked in my eyes without a hint of surprise, it was as if I had been sleeping next to you and woke you up for work. It was also the first time I have ever wanted children. You holding that child was the most peace I had seen in weeks.”

1 comment: